ADLER

SHARE

ADLER is a Tyrolean family business with a rich tradition.

That is why the only standards that count are those we set ourselves.

With this philosophy, ADLER has become the competence leader when it comes to wood protection and wood paints. Because only those who are enthusiastic about their work do not do things by halves. That starts with research and finishes with advice and service.

The ADLER-Werk Lackfabrik (Paints factory) is an independent company in Tyrol in the ownership of the third generation of the Berghofer family. Till today, ADLER is a family business and wishes to remain so. As Austria’s leading manufacturer of paints, varnishes and wood preservatives, ADLER is known well beyond these borders for its high-tech products.

Their priority has therefore always been on quality and sustainability ahead of doing quick business and thinking about profit. That sets us quite clearly apart from large companies that often only aim to make short-term profits. This has made us into an internationally recognized premium brand.

1934

Johann Berghofer lays the foundations for the present company by founding a paint business in the Schwaz old town. Oil paints, matting, polishes and floor care products are produced there in modest storerooms.

1947

Johann Berghofer sets up the first factory building on the outskirts of Schwaz.

1964

After the death of Johann Berghofer at the age of 54, his son, Günther Berghofer, takes over the company with his mother, Hermine Berghofer.

1974-1981

Construction of a new paint factory on the Schwaz industrial estate.

1991-1992

Service support centres are opened in Vienna, St. Pölten, Kalsdorf near Graz and Linz-Leonding.

1994

New construction of an environmental conservation and recycling centre with a waste water treatment plant, cleaning plant for reusable containers as well as waste separation and recycling department.

1997

A service support centre is set up in Klagenfurt.

2001

Günther Berghofer passes on the corporate management to his daughter, Andrea Berghofer. The new fully automated high-bay warehouse is opened. Customers can be attended to even faster with the help of computer-controlled storage and retrieval.

2002

A new research and competence centre with an automatic furniture coating machine and a window line is presented to the customers. The subsidiary company, “ADLER Polska” is established in Poland.

2004

ADLER becomes the owner of the Austrian paints brand, Frenkel, and the popular wood filler brand, Grilith. The daily financial newspaper, “Wirtschaftsblatt”, selects ADLER as the best family-run business in Tyrol.

2005

Inauguration of the new warehouse in Tuggen (CH). The company receives the prize for sustainability awarded by the state of Tyrol.

2006-2007

Further expansion of international activities: two service support centres for Germany established in Essenbach near Landshut and Dornstadt near Ulm.

2008

Foundation of the subsidiary, “ADLER Slovensko”. The subsidiary company, “ADLER Cesko”, is established in the Czech Republic.

2009

ADLER opens a new support center in Krakow (Poland). Foundation of the subsidiary, “ADLER Italia” in Rovereto.

2013

In the course of a major laboratory expansion, a laboratory automation system was procured, which lays the foundation for a completely new type of paint development. The focus of the robot lies on the selection of color shades, but the system also helps to protect the environment, as it uses less material and produces less waste.

2014

The Swiss “nest” becomes too small: in 2014 ADLER opens the newly established service support center on Etzelstraße in Tuggen

2016

With the construction of the most modern water-based paint factory in Europe with a production capacity of 30,000 tones, ADLER has set a milestone on the way to a successful future.

Corporate Head Office in Austria

ADLER-Werk Lackfabrik

Johann Berghofer GmbH & Co KG

Bergwerkstr. 22

A-6130 Schwaz

Tel.: +43 5242 6922
Fax: +43 5242 6922-999